Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Of Solar Storms and Other Envirodigitas

The first thing I have to say is I had a hard time getting anybody to believe me. The whole thing was too preposterous and prescient and certainly my description of the event as "a lake of fire in the sky" didn't help. Especially after my current histrionic state due to the stolen election of 2000. When the solar storm hit New England, in fact, most likely a series of storm, it appeared to myself as having biblical portents, but denial in those days of the Y2k craze was strong. The wrath of God stuff could be safely removed to points of conjecture.

Yes, in those post- X-File years it wasn't until after 9/11 that people were searching out Nostradmous again. Irregardless, the earth shook, and it was the sun that was doing the shaking, sending waves of electromagnetic winds pulsing down to the core of the earth. My observations for that day include: In the morning, going up Route 3 North in southern New Hampshire, steam rising from the freshly fallen snow. That night, same spot on the highway, coming back from a day searching out some old ghosts in Peterborough, my car swerved as the wind gathered into a swirling bowl as if the strictures of gravity were no longer in order. I was listening to the Chemical Brothers on the CD player, heading home to North Andover, Massachusetts.

The electrochemical night fire seemed to be stirring throughout the atmosphere. Lightning hung in the sky in veins of white light. The wind became so inense, I pulled off the highway, turned into the shelter of a local hospital parking lot. When it appeared that wasn't going to be enough, due to the intensity of the lightning, I went inside the waiting room to wait it out. I was tempted to pray since it was some kind of women's religious hospital.

After the wind failed to subside, I gathered my nuts to get back out onto the chaotic freeway as branches and leaves blew across my path. Turning east toward 495, looking out toward Lawrence and across the Merrimack River, the great sky-sea of pulsating lightning, bouncing off the ground as if an explosion were burning white hot from off the ground and back into the sky again. A massive electrical orb was attacking the city: A lake of fire in the sky.

The Chemical Brothers techno-invoked the scene with a suitable polyphonic fury, a lightning music sountrack, those two elements, storm and sound, fusing a coincidental kalaidoscope in my brain.

When I arrived home, I was completely out of my wits. Moses after wtinessing the burning Bush. But alas, the entire family was watching television during the storm and barely even noticed there was lightning outside. Fortunately, I mean, scientifically speaking, I ws able to get other from what I had seen by going out to get soem cigs. A woman at a convenience store in Andover, whose gas station was facing Lawrence, saw it, too.

So I decided to do a search on the Web. From there I learned plenty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home